scrapelib is a library for making requests for less-than-reliable websites.
scrapelib originated as part of the Open States project to scrape the websites of all 50 state legislatures and as a result was therefore designed with features desirable when dealing with sites that have intermittent errors or require rate-limiting.
Advantages of using scrapelib over using requests as-is:
- HTTP(S) and FTP requests via an identical API
- support for simple caching with pluggable cache backends
- highly-configurable request throtting
- configurable retries for non-permanent site failures
- All of the power of the suberb requests library.
scrapelib is on PyPI, and can be installed via any standard package management tool:
poetry add scrapelib
pip install scrapelib
import scrapelib s = scrapelib.Scraper(requests_per_minute=10) # Grab Google front page s.get('http://google.com') # Will be throttled to 10 HTTP requests per minute while True: s.get('http://example.com')